Saturday, July 01, 2006

Friends and Relations

Yesterday night, a whole bunch of friends and relations of the Crowders (my mom's parents) came over, and most of them were excellent cooks, and the meal was great. After the meal, we all went in to the piano, and mom played the piano, I played guitar (Abe has a new, very nice, very expensive acoustic guitar), and Grandpa played violin. I didn't think we sounded too bad, but then that was because I played quietly. Mom has been playing piano for nearly forty years now...And she is really good, so she held things together. We played some hymns, and people sang, and we had a very nice evening, despite the fact that I was supposed to know everyone, but really didn't. The hymns that we pulled off sounded great. The funniest thing that evening was this funky lady with shortish kinda bobbed red hair who came up to me grabbed my cheeks and went, "You're cute!" before turning three hundred and sixty degrees around in a circle as I fell over backwards. (I didn't quite hit the floor...) After she had turned her circle, she said, "I'm going to steal you and take you to my church for all the girls to look at!" which was worse. I mean, what do you say to that? All that came to my poor beleaguered mind was: someone make her go away, but you couldn't say that, least of all directly to her face. Anyway, I am still trying to recover from that harrowing experience.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

oho, sounds like you got yourself a girl AND a guitar. Revel in the moment, rock god. Viva l'amour!

But really, she does sound a little strange there. Oh well, at least she was enjoying herself. Hope your still having fun there, and that church tomorrow will be, uh, "all the girls" free.

Jeffrey said...

was she blind Graham? Because i don't know how anyone could see your hair and still be able to call you cute! Try to have fun with all the girls at the church.
oh, i got msn messenger on my comp now.

Anonymous said...

i'm sorry graham, no really i am. i understand the feeling of not knowing anybody when everyone expects you to. oh well try and survive.

tim

Graham said...

the really freaky thing was that she was like 50. Or older. Her husband had this mega beard and long hair and he couldn't pay attention to one thing for longer than about 10 seconds wierd. The other thing was that she thought my hair was "gorgeous" go figure.

Christina said...

I feel your pain. Since I'm a Riepe everyone expects me to know everything about cars and machines and what's going on and I don't know anybody. At least I haven't been touched in weird ways from cousins or anything like that. That's awesome you got msn messenger now, Jeffrey. I'm waitin' for the "Newest" version to load but since I have dial-up it's taking forever.

Graham said...

I got it despite the fact that it is fifteen megs and I am on dial up too at the moment. Jeremy said he would only communicate with me if I downloaded it.

Jasmine said...

THAT'S HYSTERICAL!!! when i'm old, i'm going to do that to all the teenage boys. That's so cool. You should've been like, "Oh no ma'am that will make my fiance jealous" That would've thrown her for a loop. hee hee.

Graham said...

I just created a monster: I am the social frankenstein of today...