Friday, June 23, 2006

In the US with my Guitar

I am not an american. This is something that I have realized quite intensely today and yesterday. I have mostly the same ideisms that the rest of america has, but my values are all off. This is something that I have only come to appreciate recently. The intense focus on individuality and yet at the same time conformity is rather unnerving: everyone has a car, and then drives it. Conformity. And yet every car is different, and they are usually the only person in the car, showing an individual lifestyle.

My guitar needs a name, and its a she. She is dark and chaotic, but she is understanding for the most part. She does have a temper though. I took her appart to bring her with me, and she is still mad at me despite the fact that I stayed up far latter than I should have last night putting her together again. She kept going out of tune when I tried to play her with mom. She was just fine earlier today when it was just the two of us. At any rate, I have considered several names. Darcy, which means dark one, but that is a guy's name. Melanie, which means dark one as well, but I have a friend by that name and I don't want to 1. insult her. 2. give her ideas. 3. insult her friend and give him ideas. That said. I need a name for her. She is a Yamaha solid body electric with a black finish and a white pickguard. She is alder, with a maple neck and a rosewood fingerboard. She's got two sets of single coil pickups and one humbucker, and she is in need of a name.

7 comments:

Jeffrey said...

did u get the idea of naming your guitar from Zits? and the fact that you are not an american sorta goes without saying...

Graham said...

I sorta slightly got the idea from zits. Several people have asked me if my guitar has a name, so I thought she needed one. My mom only came up with names I associated with large wide women for some reason. If I took her advice I would name her Broomhilda or Bessy.

I am more intensly aware that I am not an american this time because I now have a complex understanding of values and the ability to analyze other's values, something I didn't have two years ago, last time I was in the states.

Anonymous said...

whoooooeeeeee! a name for you guitar, eh? i say call it darcylene, then you have have dark organic explosive mixtured one. just a thought...

Graham said...

heh. I love it. I will wait though, see if any other great ones come allong.

Jasmine said...

hey. . .i like cars. And i like having one. and i like that my car's bumper is falling off, and it's individual. i look HOT driving MY car. i'm going to miss it more than some of my friends. I'm going to miss all it represents to me.

Graham said...

yeah, u have a car, I don't, and since I don't, I couldn't care less about learning to drive. If I had one, I would be either inclined to sell it for cash or to learn to use it. One of the two.

Jasmine said...

meh. i didn't get my license until a year ago. it's unnecessary if you don't have a car. but you should def learn to drive one, so that you are able to get your license when you feel like it.