Sunday, March 04, 2007

On Philosophy and other stuff...

I think I am a connoisseur. Of rock. I like and admire all sorts of things in music that drive my parents and friends and siblings, and everyone else as well for that matter, up the wall. I just read a SF short story/novella on the nature of connoisseurs, time traveling and the human spirit. Brilliant piece of work, only problem is that I don't remember who wrote it or what it was called. I have it upstairs, If anyone is really interested, I can dig it out for you. At any rate, one of the themes was that a connoisseur is someone who can really enjoy something that the proletariat can't, or rather, doesn't. Now however, we are all doused in different things to different levels, so while I am a connoisseur of rock, I can't stand other things, such as the twentieth century classic novel. People must like them, 'cause they're classics, but somehow when I read I experience, not just hear, and most of twentieth century literature is gloom, doom, despair, and agony, which I can't say I like.

I doubt I will start a major trend or anything here, but I want to post a list and see if anyone else has come up with a list anything like it. Ok:

Interesting things I have done while the electricity is out:
Burnt my hair (not intentionally)
studied computer programming by candlelight... (didn't notice anything ironic for a while)
made strike on box candles (by wrapping matches in melted wax from candles)
Studied AP chemistry (I felt like an alchemist fooling with archaic symbols by candlelight)

to end on a happy note, I CAN DO IMPLICIT INTEGRATION FINALLY! Yeah! happy. That may be the single hardest math concept I have tried to date...

3 comments:

Jeffrey said...

Let's see...if you don't like the agony in 20th century literature, why do you like the agony of 21st century death metal? I mean, if you look at most music nowadays it is gloom, doom, despair and agony-probably more so than in the 20th century. Oh well, you can be inconsistent if you like-it seems to be a habit with you.
I generally just end up sitting around reading a random book when the electricity is out...or I listen to my ipod with the volume all the way up because I know there is no other noise in the house to compete with it and that it will drive my mom crazy.

Jasmine said...

my electricity went out the other night. i never got around to lighting any candles. i just watched tv on my roommate's computer until it was almost out of battery power, and then i read with my cell phone flashlight in bed. we were out of water too. . it was obnoxious.

Anonymous said...

Dear friend, you will never be free of implicit differentiation. In fact, you will eventually use it so often that you won't even call it "implicit," and the prof will just gloss over the math involved (and expect you to follow.) Which sucks, by the way. =) But congrats on mastering it, because it's a useful tool.