Sunday, October 29, 2006

Something May Be Wrong...

I just finished taking a shower, and instead of trying to put my shirt over my head like I'm supposed to, I for some reason tried to wear them like pants. I was busy fantasizing about beating up robbers in a break in. I woke up when I realized that my foot wasn't fitting. I then began to worry about the state of my mind. I tried math. Things seemed to be working, but then, has two plus two always equaled four? I asked Dad. He said yes. However, he then said, "but if you had said five I think I might have said yes to that too," which got me even more confused and worried, so I called after him, "so is it four or five?" no response. This is where you can help. Is two plus two five, or is it really four after all?

8 comments:

Christina said...

well first, you must find what 2 equals.when we research, we find that 2=(1+1). so when we ask the question "is 2 plus 2 equal to 5" we do this:
2=(1+1), 2 + 2 =
(1+1) + (1+1)=
(1+1+1+1)=?
4!!!

Hope I was helpful, hehehe.

Graham said...

ok. Things still seem to be working. Thats good... I hope.

Anonymous said...

Sorry Graham, both 4 and 5 are wrong answers. The correct answer is a 'window with curtains' so your are insane after all. Or did you already know that?

Graham said...

ok, now as I am no fit judge of logic, you must battle it out and decide.

Graham said...

ok, now as I am no fit judge of logic, you must battle it out and decide.

Anonymous said...

Okay, I'm kind of mad, because I didn't want to do work this early. For a friend, however, I'll do it.

To find the answer to what 2+2 equals, we check to see what the magnitude of the vector [2,0,0] (which we'll call vector a) times the vector [2,0,0], which we'll call vector b, equals. a . b = (and I use the period as a rough way of writing a dot b) equals xsub1 times xsub2 plus ysub1 times ysub2 plus zsub1 times zsub2, which gives us 4. So far so good.

To double check, we take the limit of the equation y=4 as x tends to infinity. Fortunately, the slope ends up being a value that approaches zero for all points on the function, giving us a limit of 4 as well.

For our final check, the area under the curve y=4 from x=77.94 to x=78.94 gives us the integral of y=4, which is y=4x, with value x=78.94, minus the value of the integral of y=4 (again y=4x), with value y=77.94. The answer is, reassuringly, 4, and we can conclude successfully that the sum of the magnintudes 2 and 2 is indeed 4.

(To do any further checking using functions of 2 or 3 variables would simply be exaggerating the difficulty of the question, and would involve much more work than necessary.)

(I apologize for not being able to bring quadric curves into this, but volumes of weird shapes in three dimensions are hard to express quickly, and I need to get to class.)

Graham said...

wow. ok, its four.

Charity said...

*chuckle* I'm pretty sure it's four... but I'm definitely not the most reliable source when it comes to answering math questions. :-P