Wednesday, November 01, 2006

Violin Run In

Well, I forgot my guitar to band class today, so I had to make due with a violin. Curious things them. First you get this thing and you put it under your chin. Then you look at it. Then you take this stick thing with more strings on it, and to produce horrid noises, you rub the strings on the stick thing on the strings of the violin thing.

Half an hour latter, I was able to quasi sight read the simplest of songs. If you gave me an hour and a half or so in a quiet place with a stick thing, a violin, and some music, I should be able to figure the basics out. My intonation was terrible, but I have a great ear for that kind of thing. It was one of the things I was born with: the ability to hear these really irritating out of tune things that nobody else can hear. It drives me mad. I was nearly ready to beat the violin thing against a wall and break the stick thing over my knee by the end of it all. (out of tune noise is one of the best ways to irritate me.)

6 comments:

Nick said...

haha I played violin for five-six years.

Anonymous said...

Are you seriously learning to play violin?

(*Sound of Jeremy falling off of his chair, rocking with convulsive laughter at the unusual pairing*)

Just another of your many talents, I suppose. But violin? My goodness. Still, you are right about having a good ear for music. However, the best method I've found to drive you crazy involves one or two fingers an ususpecting victim, and nerves of steel. I am, of course, referring to jabbing your midsection, and watching the frenetic display that usually follows. =)

Graham said...

its not me! really! it was a one day thing, I forgot the guitar to band one day only. I hope never to do that again. the crazy thing was so gosh darn small! and irritating to boot! I sounded horrid! at least with a guitar when you make a mistake it is because your finger is two centemeters off, not two milimeters. Much eiser to fix, believe it or not.

I don't have a good ear for music either. I don't think I have met anyone whose taste in music coincides by more than say thirty songs. I can hear things that are out of tune, thats all.

Anonymous said...

Ah, well, that's a relief. How's guitar coming, anyways? Are you taking lessons at school? Or participating in the band? (Do they actually have a band this year, or is it like when I was there, with 3 saxophones and a flute?)

Graham said...

its a quazi band. Jonathan (yes, our monster) is playing violin, as is Sarah Dualeh. Elizabeth Neuman is playing recorder, Timothy is playing guitar, danny hudson is playing clarinet, moody is playing xylaphone, and the rest of it is just noise. There are several guitars that either just sit there or make horrid noises, a big violin thing...i forget what that is called, it sits on the floor though... Chello! (I think) I have been learning guitar on my own and learning timing and playing with a group from the class.

Anonymous said...

Cello? (My goodness). To be honest, it sounds like a band that could use a little saxophone, but I am curious to find what the noise is and what instruments people are using to play it. Question: are you playing chords or individual notes (because you should work on notes as much as possible, because you sound awesome playing that way.) Oh yeah, who teaches?