Saturday, July 15, 2006

His Very Own Instrumental...

Yesterday evening I went with my cousin Kate and my two brothers to see one of Kate's friends perform at the county fair. That was really neat. We got there, and I saw all this equipment piled up, two footpedals, (both boss. That name didn't connect at this stage...), an acoustic guitar, a bass guitar, and then some other smaller instruments, a recorder, a tom tom drum thing, a triangle, and some other small stuff. Any way, he set up all his stuff, and started playing. He had a hilarious song about proposing to a girl on Halloween when she was dressed up as a ghost or something, and he had another one about how the medicine and drug industry is in league with doctors to get rich off of us, but that isn't what I want to talk about. The two pedals that I mentioned before. One of them was the boss me-50 (not the bass model) and the other was the boss looping station, which I didn't notice at the time. Both pedals packed a walloping punch though. When I first got there, I looked at his instruments and I said to myself, no electric. He had it. You just couldn't see it. It was disguised as an acoustic guitar and a pedal. He could make that thing scream, and wail, and everything else. It was awesome. Being an amateur guitarist, I really could appreciate the kind of effort he put into learning that instrument. He was incredible. The second pedal though. He would sit down, and push buttons on the pedal, and then sit down with his drum. He would play the drum for a while, and then put it down, but the drums kept going. He then struck a triangle at certain choice moments, before putting that down and puttering around for a while. Meanwhile, the drum and the triangle are still going off. By the end of the song, he would have thrown in another two drums, a tambourine, a recorder, his base guitar, some beat boxing or vocals, and of course some acoustic and electric guitar. It was fun to listen to. I could have sat there all night, but Kate had to go to bed because she had an early appointment at her job this morning and needed sleep and peter was kinda stoned, despite the noise. I had never seen a one man instrumental before, but I would love to see one again. He has an album out, I am going to see if I can get my hands on it...

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hear hear, come to chicago any time you like, curly-boy. You should come down to Wheaton as vell, see the Weirichs too. Maybe see a little POP T2T as well... Second comment for me (I must be only second rate)

Anonymous said...

Dear Graham,
Do you believe what Andrew's customers are saying, that I and our Caustic Cook are the same person? If you do, I all the more earnestly want to see you when I come back home. You may be surprised when you see me.

The Archduke of the Keyboard

Anonymous said...

Hello again Grayhame. Just so you know, I have my AP scores now, and am willing to trade mine for yours...

Archduke of the Keyboard? Caustic Cook? Phantom of the Kitchen? Who are you guys, and why do you have so much spare time?

Graham said...

excellent. I shall endeavor to obtain the thrice confounded scores...

I do believe that the archduke of the keyboard and the phantom person are the same, but I have no way of backing up Whatsisfoot's comment.

as it is, we have been doing far to much traveling, I just got home from an eight hour drive from timbuktu, (more later in my next post... be right back after these messeges...) where we spent a week in the freezing wastelands of the north... and I believe that it would be impossible to get mom and dad to do any traveling in excess of what is already planned, much as I would love to see people in Chicago and Wheaton...Sorry dudes...

Anonymous said...

On a lighter note, I just saw the strangest spelling of a normal name at Wal-Mart the other day. "Jazzmyn" Bizzare, no? I dare someone to top that.

Anonymous said...

Time, my friend, is relitive.

The Phantom of the Kitchen

Graham said...

yes, time is relive, as is the speed of light, thus you both exist and don't exist, due to you entering a time warp in an alternate quantom dimension.

I might be able to beat that name with much work and trepedation, but I don't feel like thinking about it at the moment.

Jasmine said...

Why would they kill my name? Jazzmyn? it hurts just to look at. *tears*