Wednesday, June 06, 2007

Graju8shun

I r done graju8ed. I am told the ceremony was dull... But! I was prepared for the worst and brought my handy dandy iPod video with a brand spanking new movie on it: Pirates of the Caribbean: The Curse of the Black Pearl.

The day started off fairly well. I did almost nothing for the first five periods of the day or so. I came in with shorts on for the first time that year. Shorts and flip flops. I had convinced several people that I was going to graju8 in shorts and flip flops... I had the students who were coordinating the whole thing climbing the walls for a short time. That was worth watching. I think Yasmine was ready to kill me at one point in time.

So two o'clock finally rolls around. I'm wearing a tie and shoes, and Yasmine is ready to kill me again for stressing her out like that. We waddle our way on stage in our retarded costumes. The super man capes had been made here, and none of them really fit anyone. I think they were all to short, with maybe one exception. We looked kinda funny. So. On stage. Mr. Blakie, our Principal, winds up for a speech. I wind down to watch my movie.

After graju8shun, we go home, and I tried to finish my movie, but I had to help with making supper. When we had finished eating, we headed out for youth group. Today is the day that they start to let all the little kids in to see if they like youth group. A sort of trial run you might say. There are a lot of little kids coming this year, including my brother Peter! I can't believe it. I really can't.

Youth group wound down, and so I headed off to my graju8shun party. Which was at the Movenpick hotel. High class: very high class. The son of the Yemeni president was in my graju8ing class, and he decided to pay for the whole thing. Nice. At any rate, the party was open to graju8s as well as all secondary students. Not a teacher or adult in sight. Fun you say? I think not. The music was so loud my ears are still throbbing, and the lights were off. If there was any socializing, or even any human contact, I missed it in the dark and noise. I knew most of the songs I am sorry to say, none of the ones with lyrics were any good... I actually have most of the songs that were played, but they are all from the boring side of my hours of dance on my iPod. At least one person was chain smoking, while several other people just had an occasional smoke. My clothes stink as a result.

I don't understand parties like that. If the purpose is to get laid, all well and good, have fun, leave me out. Otherwise, why would you want to go ruin your ears for music that you own, and can reproduce more accurately at home at more polite levels? You can't talk, you can't see, you can dance, but nobody was doing that really... And these "parties" are common here. Or fairly common at any rate. If some one understands these things, I would appreciate an explanation.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey, I'm sure the party wasn't that bad. No one really enjoys parties, but you go as a sign of support for whoever the party's for. That's my take, at least. And the loud music is fun! Well, depending on the music, I suppose... Still, the party I went to wasn't that bad.

Christina said...

Yay! You graduated! I totally forgot about going to Andrew graduations ceremony. *makes oops face*

Jeffrey said...

Congratulations...strange that you graduate before finishing high school though.... Did you end up braiding your hair? Or did you decide to do some other crazy thing?

Charity said...

Hey, congrats on graduating! Sorry I haven't commented on here in a long time... I might get to meet you this summer. Well, I think we have met before (at Southside or something), but that obviously doesn't really count if I can't remember.

How old do you have to be to be in your youth group? We have a youth camp (at Dikko!) this weekend, and my little brother, Benjamin, is old enough to come this year (you have to be 12). It is so weird...but it should be fun. I think I will be the oldest "youth" there -- but there will be older leaders and such. Anyway, I am excited.

Sorry to ramble...but hey, long posts call for long comments, right? Glancing at your post below: yes, God does answer prayer! What a wonderful thing. I am praying that I will pass my bio. final next Tuesday.

I have never been to a real "party", so I can't say that I would understand, either.

But I am most definitely going to end this ginormous comment now. Maybe I'll see ya soon!

Graham said...

umm... talle? yeah... the party was for me. Partly. And the rest of the graju8s in general... loud music can be fun if its not painful.

Yep, I graju8ed... can't say it was a really big thrill. Maybe it was cause I wasn't paying any attension and just watching a movie...

We probably met, but I have no memory of the event either. I think my dad knows your dad though... not that that has any relevance or anything... you have to be 11 or 12 and be in 7th grade I think, so the 6th graders get 2 weeks at the end of the year to try things out. I am probably for sure the oldest youth in our group... having graju8ed and all that. There is one other graju8 this year, but I don't know her very well.

I graju8ed after I finished all my required courses. I didn't finish two of my four electives, but there is time to do that now. Funny very true quote by Jason Barbo: "I am rapidly running out of reasons to be in school." I didn't braid my hair or do anything else insane to it, I just left it... I guess that might be considered insane... dunno.

Unknown said...

I think it's funny that, although you've graduated and are done with high school, the thing that's smacking your brain the hardest is that Peter's going to Youth Group.

Justin said...

wooah. Peter and derek in yg. That is a shocker. I suppose everyone was surprised when i started coming too...