Saturday, September 16, 2006

Word Recognition Software

I have done it. My calculator now recognizes three words: Yes, No, and Dunno, and responds to them. I am quite proud of it. I can program it to recognize more words, but it gets hairy fast. What I did was I assigned numbers to letters and then had the words (when multiplied together) demand responses. However, if I start doing long words and letters like z, the numbers will rack up in a big hurry and I will wind up writting a really buggy program. It works. I'm happy. Enough said.

5 comments:

Jasmine said...

dunno? you're crazy!!!! that's so funny. i'm impressed.

Jeffrey said...

what does it respond? what is wrong with the letter z?
this does sound really cool. You should program to recognize more words, so it can get hairy, and since you like things to be hairy, you will like it, right?

Anonymous said...

Yes, no, and dunno? Only Graham would program a calculator to recognize dunno. Oh, and to keep the numbers from being so big, why don't you take the root of them and have the calculator recognize that? I'm guessing what's wrong with the letter z is that it is a 26, and much bigger than poor a, which is only a 1.

By the way, check out chucknorrisfacts.com, it's pretty funny. I don't know who he is, but the lines about him are great. Apparently he has something called a roundhouse kick, which is extremely destructive, and he's also the epitome of toughnessity.

Jasmine said...

oh NO, not Chuck Norris!! He's like, a cult, among guys of America. I learned this to my dismay this summer from Jonny McKenna. . .CRAZIness.
and the calculator thing--graham, hon, you are SUCH a geek.

Graham said...

Yeah, about the calculator, I showed it to Jason, and of course when he reads the screen (does this thing work?) he types no. So far so good. What happens? it gives the word unrecognized message and has ever since. Everything else works, but no doesn't. Go figure. I love being a geek.